The Landscape Show
This year Practicality Brown’s new hedging range Practical Instant Hedge™, can be seen on the Avant exhibition stand at the Landscape Show in Battersea Park, London.
The show, which is on Tuesday 19th & Wednesday 20th September 2017, is one of the UK’s leading landscape trade events, dedicated to bringing the industry together.
Avant Tecno (UK) distributes the Finnish made, internationally acclaimed and innovative compact loaders. Avant pioneered the compact machine sector 25 years ago and have been innovating ever since; no other manufacturer offers the range of compact loaders and attachments.
Practicality Brown use Avant machines to help creating mature gardens; with over 35 years of experience, we have specimen trees and instant hedges available to garden designers, landscape architects and property developers for bespoke UK-wide projects.
Practical Instant Hedge™ at The Landscape Show:
Practical Instant Hedge™ is UK grown to maturity and available in 1m bags to aid handling and planting. We can offer supply only, as well as supply and plant, and can offer a recommended irrigation system for all our trees and hedges.
Come and see us at the AVANT stand CP2 at the Landscape Show and talk to us about your project.
Not to be missed
We are having an end of summer sale, with 50% off our current containerised tree stock; the discount will be applied to ex VAT orders of trees.
These trees are in stock NOW and currently half price to make way for new trees arriving in the Autumn. See our stock list for all trees that are included in this limited offer.
BBC RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2017: People’s Choice Award
There are three People’ Choice awards that the public can vote for at this year’s Chelsea Flower Show:
- Best Show Garden
- Best Fresh Garden
- Best Artisan Garden
Voting for Best Show Garden is via the www.bbc.co.uk/chelsea website only and voting is only open for one day, opening 21:00 Wednesday 24th May and closing at 21:30 on Thursday 25th May 2017.
This vote is for the best of the large 8 Show Gardens. These display the latest innovative designs and must-have plants, crafted with skill by highly-talented designers and their teams. Each of these gardens feature on the BBC’s coverage of the RHS Chelsea Flower show. The winner will be announced during the BBC’s coverage on Friday 26th May 2017.
Voting for Best Fresh and Artisan Gardens is via theThe RHS Peoples’ Choice Award web page; voting is open now and closes on Friday 26th of May 2017.
Vote for the best of the 5 Fresh Gardens: Bold and daring, the Fresh category uses innovative materials and daring design to present and question concepts
Vote for the best of the 9 Artisan Gardens: The artisan category demonstrate traditional designs, materials and craft skills revitalised by contemporary approaches
The RHS medals have been awarded at this year’s Chelsea Flower Show, and the next big honour is BBC/RHS Peoples’ Choice Award, which as its name suggests, is voted for by the public.
See the BBC’s Chelsea coverage to a review of the gardens or RHS’s Chelsea pages for more details on each of the gardens.
Practicality Brown is proud to have been able to supply our Native Mix hedging to two gardens this year:
- The Welcome to Yorkshire Show Garden designed by Tracy Foster
- The World Horse Welfare Artisan Garden designed by Adam Woolcott and Jonathan Smith
Hedges are aesthetically pleasing and add character to a property, whether they are an integral part of the design, or form a boundary fence. We have a number of mature hedge options across a range species, both evergreen and deciduous, including the popular Native Mix.
A good hedge has many benefits in addition to being a garden boundary:
- It provide a good shelter; reducing wind strength better than a solid fence
- It acts as a filter; absorbing dust and noise
- It offers privacy; as an effective visual screen
- It offers a level of security; a prickly hedge is a great deterrent
- It has natural beauty and interest with seasonal changes
- It provides background texture and colour to complement other plants
- Wildlife can benefit from its food and shelter for insects, birds and mammals
- It is long-lived; many hedges can last hundreds of years
Native Mix Instant Hedges
Native mix hedging contains plants that are all native to the UK and as such emulate traditional country hedgerows found throughout Britain. Our Native Mix would usually contain a combination of Hazel, Blackthorn, Hornbeam, Dogwood and Hawthorn, all of which are indigenous species.
Native Mix hedges creates a natural look and contain a variety of colours and textures which provide a rich living collage for excellent seasonal interest from the early spring blossoms to fruits and berries in the autumn. All kinds of wildlife will be attracted by the food and shelter opportunities.
Native hedging, by its very nature will thrive on most soil types and can be planted in all but the deepest of shade. It will tend to grow quite quickly at some 20 – 40 cm per year and will require pruning once a year, ideally in July; it can be left un-pruned, when it will prove even more wildlife friendly.
First planted in 1998, Practicality Brown is the sole supplier of the award-winning Elveden Instant Hedge, which is a truly mature, dense hedging product.
The Elveden Instant Hedge difference:
- Grown from British origin stock (seed or cutting) not just UK provenance (which can be where plants have been growing in the last six months)
- Allowed to grow and mature over time at the Elveden Estate in East Anglia
- The roots are grown in a membrane which helps to eliminate transplant shock; thereby allowing planting of this substantial mature hedge to be carried out all year round
- It is fed, watered and regularly clipped to ensure that it is an effective, robust and dense hedge around 2ft deep
- For example the Green Beech available to plant now at 1.8m high was planted during 2008/9 season, some 7 or 8 years of diligent care and attention whilst the same height Laurel is 4-5 years old.
- Available in 2.5m length strips which ensure continuity of plants, as they are replanted in the same order as they are lifted from the ground.
Time and again this proper instant hedge provides landscape architects and garden designers with the essential element to emphasize, enhance or enclose their design. We have stock available in heights from 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8m across a range of species, all of which are 400-500mm deep.
Elveden Instant Hedge is a premium product and still is the best in class in terms of the size, density and quality; it is perfect for high end projects and where clients or circumstances demand a superior finish.
All photographs and content are Copyright © Practicality Brown Limited.
All Rights Reserved.
Registered Company No: 02114017
VAT Registration No: GB460755932
Practicality Brown Ltd
Monday to Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm
(Not Bank Holidays)
Viewing by appointment only, please call to arrange