We have specialised in instant hedging for over 20 years, providing immediate impact and maturity to many private gardens and landscaping projects. Our instant hedges are pre grown and sold by the linear metre, rather than as individual plants. Our mature hedges are available to plant all year round and are supplied between 0.8m and 1.8 to 2m high.
Practicality Brown are well known as the supplier of the high end UK grown Elveden Instant Hedge™ which is generally lifted in 2.4m lengths. Due to its size and density this requires machinery to plant which does not suit all garden situations so we now also have available lighter instant hedges supplied in convenient 1m lengths. Please see our Practical Instant Hedge™ which is a mature hedging range grown in hedge bags by us in Iver. Also available are field grown instant hedges from other specialist growers that we work with that are lifted in 1m lengths.
Please either fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01753 652022 to discuss your requirements. We will then be able to provide a quotation based on the best instant hedge options for your specific garden project.
Instant Hedge Availability List
We have tens of thousands of metres of hedge in production – the species and heights available are listed below. The availability can change on a weekly basis and therefore we welcome specific enquiries, based on the approximate linear metres required and the time of planting.
Evergreen Instant Hedging
- Yew (Taxus baccata) – 80cm, 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus ‘Rotundifolia’) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Broadleaf (Griselinia littoralis) – 1.4 to 1.5m high
- Portuguese Laurel (Prunus lusitanica) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Photinia Red Robin 1.8 to 2m high
- Box (Buxus sempervirens) – 1.2m high
- Holly (Ilex aquifolium) – 1.2m and 1.5m high
- White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis ‘Brabant’) – 2m high
- Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) semi-evergreen – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
Deciduous Instant Hedging
- Native Mix (various mixes of native plants) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Green Beech (Fagus sylvatica) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Purple Beech (Fagus sylvatica ‘Purpurea’) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus) – 1.2m, 1.5m and 1.8 to 2m high
- Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii)– 1.2m and 1.5m high
Mature Ready Grown Hedges
Practicality Brown have a number of hedging options available to help take the time out of creating a mature, instant look for any garden hedge project – whether its instant evergreen hedging for privacy screening or the seasonal interest of a mature deciduous hedge.
Instant Hedge Benefits
Hedges are cost effective, compared to a brick wall and form an attractive boundary more quickly than many gardeners imagine.
They can create a really strong framework for the garden, so that it looks good in midwinter and is adapt at providing an attractive background to carry the beautiful floral decoration of spring and summer. As well as providing structure to the garden, they can be perfect for wildlife, and particularly nesting birds.
Planting a mature, instant hedge has the following benefits:
- We have taken the time to grow the hedges, so you don’t have to!
- Shelter: reducing wind strength better than a solid barrier
- Filter: absorbing dust and noise
- Privacy: as an effective visual screen, particularly evergreen hedging
- Security: a prickly hedge is a great intruder deterrent
- Beauty and interest from seasonal changes, particularly deciduous hedging
- Background texture and colour complement other plants
- Wildlife: food and shelter for a wide variety of native insects, birds and mammals
- Weather-resistance: much better than manmade fences or brick walls
- Economy long term compared with fencing and brick work
- Long-lived: hedges can last hundreds of years
- Can be planted to shape, such as a curve
- Easy to maintain
See our separate notes on maintaining your instant hedge.
Our service options include delivery and installation or delivery only; for hedges direct to your garden, you need to look no further.
Please use the enquiry form with details of the hedges that you are interested in and we will provide a quote based on the information you supply.