Instant Hedge: Benefits
Hedge plants are cost effective, compared to a brick wall and form an attractive boundary more quickly than many gardeners imagine. They can create a really strong framework for the garden so that it looks good in midwinter and is better equipped to carry the beautiful floral decoration of spring and summer. As well as providing structure to the garden, they can be perfect for wildlife, and particularly nesting birds.
Planting a mature hedge has the following instant benefits:
- Shelter, reducing wind strength better than a solid barrier
- Filter: absorbing dust and noise
- Privacy: as an effective visual screen
- Security: a prickly hedge is a great deterrent
- Beauty and interest from seasonal changes
- Background texture and colour complement other plants
- Wildlife: food and shelter for insects, birds and mammals
- Weather-resistance: much better than fences or brickwalls
- Economy long term compared with fencing and brick work
- Long-lived: hedges can last hundreds of years
- Easy to maintain
See our notes on maintaining your instant hedge.