Quercus ilex (Holm Oak)
We have some fine Quercus ilex (Holm Oak) that are available now which are perfect for evergreen screening.
This special selection of field grown rootball Quercus ilex are available now:
- Height: 3-3.75m
- Width: 1.5m x Depth 1.5m
- Price: £475
- Number: 28
- Height: 2.75-3.25m
- Form: feathered
- Price: £145
- Number: 33
These Evergreen Oaks have dark-green, glossy foliage is similar to that of a holly tree, hence the common name Holly (or Holm) Oak and are therefore perfect for screening or year round coverage, with the spiny, evergreen leaves being a brilliant plain backdrop for other plants.
Young green autumn acorns adorn Quercus ilex and mature to a dark red before falling. The acorns are popular with wildlife such as squirrels, whilst the spring catkins are visited by bees and other insects, and its dense, evergreen canopy offers year-round shelter for birds.
Left unpruned, they will eventually grow into a large, rounded tree, this variety of Oak will reach 15-20metres in 20 years.
Quercus ilex can be exposed to coastal positions and as it is also tolerant of salt-spray, it is ideal for using as an evergreen windbreak in coastal gardens. It is happy in both full sun and dappled shade and in all but very wet soils. This tree prunes well, making it extremely useful as well as tough.
- Common name: Evergreen Oak or Holm Oak or Holly-leaved Oak
- Latin name: Quercus ilex
- Height and spread in 20 years: 20 x 6 metres
- Season of interest: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
- Foliage: Spiny, dark-green, evergreen leaves becoming smooth as tree matures
- Soil: Tolerant of most soil types if moist but well-drained (avoid wet sites)
- Position: Full sun or part shade. Evergreen Oak is great for coastal positions
- Naturalised in the UK
Contact us for more details about these field grown rootball Quercus ilex now