Hedges are aesthetically pleasing and add character to a property, whether they are an integral part of the design, or form a boundary fence. We have a number of mature hedge options across a range species, both evergreen and deciduous, including the popular Native Mix.
A good hedge has many benefits in addition to being a garden boundary:
- It provide a good shelter; reducing wind strength better than a solid fence
- It acts as a filter; absorbing dust and noise
- It offers privacy; as an effective visual screen
- It offers a level of security; a prickly hedge is a great deterrent
- It has natural beauty and interest with seasonal changes
- It provides background texture and colour to complement other plants
- Wildlife can benefit from its food and shelter for insects, birds and mammals
- It is long-lived; many hedges can last hundreds of years
Native Mix Instant Hedges
Native mix hedging contains plants that are all native to the UK and as such emulate traditional country hedgerows found throughout Britain. Our Native Mix would usually contain a combination of Hazel, Blackthorn, Hornbeam, Dogwood and Hawthorn, all of which are indigenous species.
Native Mix hedges creates a natural look and contain a variety of colours and textures which provide a rich living collage for excellent seasonal interest from the early spring blossoms to fruits and berries in the autumn. All kinds of wildlife will be attracted by the food and shelter opportunities.
Native hedging, by its very nature will thrive on most soil types and can be planted in all but the deepest of shade. It will tend to grow quite quickly at some 20 – 40 cm per year and will require pruning once a year, ideally in July; it can be left un-pruned, when it will prove even more wildlife friendly.